Friday 18 May 2012

GIRLS BE TRIPPIN'



I don’t like stating the obvious here, but, the media has set us to believe that skinny girls are the most attractive of all. Sure, some of those models look really good on the magazines, but the reality is that those girls aren’t even real, at all. Fortunately, these days curves are being more celebrated than in the past years and I think it’s about time, but it’s not nearly enough.

Okay, I gotta come clean here. I’m 5’ 5 and 106 lbs. ‘Then, what the hell are you talking about?’ you might ask. Well, for starters, as women we should all embrace our bodies and make our best features work. 

However loaded with truth, that phrase that sounds like the slogan of a reality show to help women boost their self- esteem through a series of tips and life changing lessons, isn’t exactly what led me to write this post today. The other day, I went to the store across the street from work to buy a mid- morning snack. So I grabbed a Coke and a couple of chocolate cupcakes to spoil myself silly and headed towards the bipolar store owner to pay for my delicacies. As I waited for my turn and shoved my treats on the counter a girl next to me (she was also thin and as far as I could tell she was attractive, mind you) huffed at me, and when I turned around I realized she had a Diet Coke and a healthy bar in her hands. As far as I could tell, she was annoyed by my purchases, because she was glaring at them and at me. I don’t know, it just strikes me as odd that a person who doesn’t know me would judge me for not caring about what I eat. If I don’t, why should anyone else?

You see, I can basically eat anything I want and I won’t get fat, because (as I recently learned) I have a medical condition that makes my metabolism be super duper faster than it should regularly be. Yay! for me, right? Not so much, because that also restricts me from eating a lot of other goodies I so much used to enjoy, but that can upset my tummy and maybe even cause embarrassing moments if in public. But the girl from the store doesn’t know this. Why would she do that? If anything she could’ve thought to herself “Ha! Good luck trying to get rid of that from your hips!” I mean, it’s also mean but at least she would turn that into my problem, not hers.

Anyway, I decided to write down a list of reasons why women shouldn’t hate us skinny girls, because for some of us, it isn’t really all that fun and here’s why:

-I have no curves. I have a waist, but that doesn’t mean I’m curvy, trust me, I have eyes and a mirror. So, essentially, if it weren’t for the fact that I’m a girly girl (sometimes I’m lazy, but still a girl), if I chose to do so, I could cut off my hair, forget to wear a bra, which only function in me is to sort of shape my itty bitty breasts, and I could easily be confused for a boy.

- Since I don’t really have any hips to speak off, I am less attractive to the opposite sex, as studies will show that something in their brains tell them that a curvier figure is healthier, thus more capable of childbearing (though this is not something they consciously think).

-Sometimes I could be distractedly wandering in a store and spot a cute dress or top that I just love and put up against my body and it looks it will fit me just fine so I decide to purchase. Too late do I realize it’s from the kids section of the store and I’m walking around town with the same outfit some twelve year old must be wearing right now. And it’s a big possibility we might run into each other. I have to learn to look around me and check for tags before buying. And also, maybe I should rethink my wardrobe because apparently I look like a twelve year old.

- Bras. Just as hard to find as it is for big breasted women. This is for real, I’m not kidding here. I can’t wear strapless bras because I have zilch to hold it in place. Even with the straps on them I can’t lift my arms without it riding up.

- Can’t wear cleavage, the whole purpose of it is lost on me.

- Skinny jeans that will look skinny in me are hard to find. No matter how many times I put them in the washer in hopes they might tighten a bit.

- The colder months of the year are really bad, because I have no body insulation. Even on mildly chilly days I leave the house looking like I wrapped a polar bear around me, while everybody else will just opt for a light sweater.

- My mom thinks I’m always sick. That can get on my nerves from time to time, because of course, she’s a mom and she says she is always right. There’s no proving I am fine to her.

- Because of my tiny frame, guys think it is super easy to just pick me up from off the ground without consent, just to prove they can do it. Like lifting me is some sort of strength proof. How about proving you’re a gentleman, next time?

- I can’t drink a lot (not that I do it all the time), so I could be having a couple shots of tequila and then party like I just did a keg stand.

- If you compare my tummy area when I’m bloated to that of a thin 14 weeks pregnant woman, you will see there is not much of a difference.

- I get dirty looks from random women who think they have an idea of my food intake, whichever it is. Either they think I starve myself, so I’m sick, or if I happen to be inhaling a hamburger they see I eat with no regret and they can’t stand it. Either way, the hatred is latent, you guys.

- Also, among the lines of that last point, women think that hating skinny girls is justified. If I try to defend myself I will likely get the ‘Oh, you poor little skinny girl… ugh’ sarcastic look. So, now I say ‘whatevs’ while they wish me being run over by a bus.

There you have it, now. I hope this changes the perception of the rather thin girls and just stop the loathing, please! I’m a girl too, and I get the whole not being comfortable with my own body, but I also know that if I hate another girl by her looks it has more to do with me not loving me, and that just sounds crazy because I definitely love myself! How could I not??

3 comments:

  1. I read this article last week and really liked it. Girls can be so mean to each other. Than's for posting this and being so honest. You may like this page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Publicidad-Sexista/113967632025872

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Will check it out! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very insightful article! It's nice to hear a view from the other side of the scale.

    ReplyDelete